Monday, November 7, 2011

Autumn Newsletter 2011

I always think to myself, I am so lucky to be part of this group. Since joining, I’ve experienced things I never would have, leapt (or have been thrown, not sure) out of my comfort bubble, have gained the most wonderful group of friends and had the most incredible experiences. I’ve learned more about hooking, dying, planning, advertising, basket making, blogging (ok, I could get better with that )… … over the past few years then I ever could have without all of you.

There are a few of you who support me so much and make me feel like I can do anything. For you, I am so grateful. There are some of you whom I have never met and have you in mind of you when my wheels are turning, trying to find a way to make you feel the excitement I do. I hope that in some way, each of you will feel the pride that I feel and the sense of friendship that I do when I think of our group.

Thank you for being part of our group. In the new year, I hope to be lucky enough to meet all of you and share the excitement.

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS

Please welcome our new members, Lily Ann and Bonnie. 
EMAIL ADDRESSES

If you have not received emails from me, please let me know. I may not have your correct email address. I don’t want anyone to miss out. I use email for last minute updates, color newsletters, quick thoughts, etc. If you have a private email, I will not share your email if you do not want me to, just let me know.

OUR NEXT GUILD MEETING - TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15

The next meeting is Tuesday, November 15. Bring your calendars please. Some things being discussed… selling raffle tickets at the Country Parlor Home show and creating a meeting schedule that includes Tuesday evenings, weekend days.

OUR RAFFLE RUG IS COMING ALONG!

Thank you to Gail Horton for graciously allowing us to reuse her pattern designed for one of the guild’s early raffle rugs. It is a sampler style rug of the Twin Forks. Places like Horton Point Lighthouse, The Big Duck, the white barn in Laurel, the farm stands are part of this large, colorful and meaningful rug. Let me know if you would like a turn! We’re all enjoying hooking this beauty!

SUPPLIER AND TEACHER LIST

I am creating a supplier and teacher directory as part of a welcome packet to give to members. If you would like to be a part of this listing, send me your name, a brief description of your wares and I’ll take it from there.

GUILD CHALLENGE - 2012 RUG SHOW PUMPKIN PATCH

Believe it or not, we are starting to think of the 2012 rug show. We aim to have our show in the fall of 2012 at Hallockville so we would like to create hooked pumpkin patch for display on the wall. The idea is for each member to hook the same small pumpkin mat. The challenge will be to add to the pumpkin - a ghost rising above, a crow sitting on, a cat peeking around, vines, jack-o-lantern face….. More details and the pumpkin pattern to follow.

GWOOLIKERS CLASS AND DYE WORKSHOP…
Because of the success of the 2010 Rug Show, we were able to hold two classes this year. Tina from gWoolikers came the last weekend of July to teach us her pattern “Whale of a Tale”. Our member, Louise hosted a dye class in October.

I have never taken a class before, and I did not know what to expect. What a ball! Even seasoned hookers, some who are teachers themselves, had a great time and learned something new. Tina and her best friend Betty Ann kept the energy high. The weekend was HOT HOT HOT, but we enjoyed ourselves and each others’ company, we never lost steam. We chatted the days away like old friends. After the class, we all went to the Lobsterfest. Thanks to Sue for getting the tickets. What a good old fashioned blast!! We hope to bring her back for another class. She is a great teacher and the sweetest lady! You will love taking a class with her!

Here are some photos from the class…
Our lovely hosts: The Cutchogue Presb. Church


Tina teaching


The whole group!

See?? We had such a good time, you can’t even tell we’re tired and HOT!

The dye workshop was really incredible. Louise has the most beautiful home and she is such a welcoming host. We walked in to the smell of fresh baked brownies - yummo!

We learned - hands on - a few methods of dying - abrash open pan, spot dying, casserole dying, and dry dying - we even created a new dry dye formula - Louise’s Bread Pudding - she’s holding it up below…. It’s gorgeous!

We all went home with a folder FULL of handouts and over a ½ yard of wool - we each received a large piece of everything we dyed. Here are some photos from the day…


dry dying - Louise's Bread Pudding - new color recipe


Out of the oven

Casserole Dying

We will have more classes and hope to see more of you at them. There is always something new to learn and it gives you the chance to teach someone new.

No comments:

The Peconic Ruggers, started by Gail Horton in 1996, is a rug hooking guild from the North Fork of Long Island, New York. We meet monthly at the beautiful Hallockville Museum Farm in Riverhead, New York.